Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Joining the Work Force

Hey there ladies and gents. It's been a while since my last post, and we have a lot of updates to share with everyone! Let's get right down to business.

First: the most exciting piece of news. After working 7 out of 10 weeks at his internship, Casey met with the big daddy boss man for a progress report of sorts. Bossman is a pretty impressive dude (founded a huge hedge fund in his 30's) and Casey had never spoke with him in person before. So he was a tiny bit nervous going into the meeting, plus he wasn't sure what they were supposed to talk about. I didn't find out all of the details of what they did talk about (Casey said betting on horse races came up...) but he made a great impression on bossman and ended up ending his internship early! He's been officially full time for a little over a week now. Not much has changed in terms of how many hours he's working, but now that his boss knows he has him for at least 2 years, he's getting more projects and responsibilities. Plus it's been a little difficult making the transition from working for yourself to working for multiple managers and bosses, all of who have different ideas of how things should be done. Yay real world! But, the company does have a great benefits package that includes wifeys, so that part is pretty exciting.

As a side note, for those of you who watch How I Met Your Mother, the building Casey works in is Goliath National Bank on the show. It's often referred to as the "evil corporation" that Barney and Marshall work for, and I thought this picture was a pretty good representation of the evil company notion.

GNB, or in real life, the GM Building and Casey's place of employment
In other news, I too have joined the millions of people who are employed in New York City, albeit part time. I am working about 15 hours a week as a personal assistant to a wealthy couple. One is in fashion and design, and the other in at-home personal training, so needless to say they do very well. My main responsibilities include creating budgets and other household duties. My first week on the job I had an interesting dream (read- nightmare) where I was trying to build a massive spreadsheet to keep track of everything, and for some reason the spreadsheet was in the shape of Manhattan. I was just a little overwhelmed! Now after a few weeks on the job I've finally gotten settled in, and the nightmares have stopped, but taxes are due in less than a month, so I'm anticipating a few more sleepless nights!

All in all, though, it's been a great experience. Being a personal assistant in the role I am is probably not something I will get to do ever again after I start school in the fall, and it's nice to do something different than I'm used to. I also started working at a soup kitchen pretty close to Casey's office, and I get to see him during lunch some days which is great. Other than that, I've just been trying to enjoy my leisure time before school... my goals are to learn how to paint, do some more reading (got through the Hunger Games trilogy in a few days! looking forward to the movie in IMAX this Saturday!), and to start cooking dishes from around the world. Regarding the latter, my first dish was an Argentinian lentil stew, which I loved. However, I made WAY too much and was eating it for lunch and dinner for a week! A little too long for my taste.

We are so thankful for both of our jobs and just that we are able to survive in this crazy city! And we expect visitors soon - the first day of spring is tomorrow, so no excuses!

No comments:

Post a Comment